Expungement Video Library

Below is a series of videos to help supplement your research on the expungement process.  We go over the definition and benefits of expungement, what makes one eligible, how to fill out the forms, and then how to serve and file your paperwork.

These videos should not be construed as legal advice – they are meant to be information resources for Kern County residents who are beginning to gather information about this process.

If you are looking for any advice on this subject specific to your case, you should consult with an attorney.

What is Expungement?

This video introduces the subject of Petitions for Dismissal, where you can request that the court dismiss old convictions from your record.  

How Do I Get a Copy of My Complete Record?

Before you begin the process, it is a great idea to search for your full record, for several reasons.

Often, many years elapse between the time someone is convicted and they decide to clear their records.  Your RAP sheet compiles your full criminal history, which means that you should have a list of every arrest and conviction that is tied to your record.

This will help make sure you are:

1) Aware of all of your Kern County cases,

2) Aware of cases outside of Kern County, and

3) Able to address them appropriately.

Am I Eligible?

This content has been removed because California’s laws about expungement have changed.  A new video will be coming shortly.  

In the meantime, please check out the slideshow on our main page.

How Do I Fill Out The Forms?

This video covers which forms are used to petition for dismissal of old convictions.

The video will show you 1) how to find your case information in Kern County, 2) how to find the forms you need to expunge old convictions, and 3) how to fill them out.

Bear in mind that this video deals only in general terms, and nothing in it should be construed as advice specific to your case.

How Do I Serve And File My Forms?

The law requires you to inform the District Attorney and Probation Department about your request that the court dismiss your old conviction(s).  This video explains how to have your paperwork served, and shows you where to get information about filing.

Keep in mind that this video was prepared during the Covid-19 pandemic.  You can (and should) contact the clerks of the Superior Court of Kern County at the courthouse where you will be filing your paperwork to get up to date information about your options for filing. 

In particular, this video mentions the ability to file paperwork with the criminal departments in Kern County by email and fax – these are almost certainly temporary policies to accommodate for limited court access during the pandemic.  We will do our best to keep our content up to date, but it is up to you to confirm details about what options are available for filing your paperwork.

But I Still Have Questions…

Often, people still have some questions about the process, even after reviewing the content in the videos above.

We will soon be providing an updated FAQ video below.

In the meantime, let us know if you have questions by phone at (661) 868-5320 or by email at

Get In touch

More Information


Monday - Thursday:
1-3:30 available by appointment only

Location and Phone

1415 Truxtun Ave, Rm. 301 Bakersfield, CA 93301 (661) 868-5320

Available Services

Including library services & resources availble for use

Information and Guidance

For example, which forms to complete and how to file them.