Kern Law Library
It is important to us that you visit the library with expectations that match what services we can provide.
What Staff May Do:
- Guide customers to appropriate research materials for obtaining information they are researching
- Provide blank forms or general pleading templates that are responsive to customer requests
- Assist customers in locating forms on a computer terminal (if available), or refer customers to the appropriate form book(s) for samples
- Provide general procedural information
- Provide cursory document review (e.g., pointing out obviously incomplete sections on forms, pointing out omitted case numbers on forms, etc.).
What Staff May Not Do:
- Tell you specifically what you should write on a form
- Tell you what type of case you should pursue
- Assess the likelihood of success in a case
- Predict an outcome in your case
- Prepare your paperwork for you
If you need assistance beyond what is described above, you may wish to visit www.kernbar.org and see if a consultation with an attorney may be right for you.
The Law Library charges fifteen cents per page for printing and photocopying (bills over $20 are not accepted). Otherwise, library staff will not ask you for payment for any services provided.
Even if you appreciate the assistance you have been provided, law library staff may not accept personal gifts.
Copies at $.15 per copy. This service is currently cash-only, though the law library will work to reinstate debit/credit capability.
The law library will provide change for bills up to $20.00. Large bills over $20.00 are not accepted.
The library also offers various online services for research. Currently we have access to Westlaw, LexisNexis Digital Library, OnLAW by CEB, and NOLO Online.
When available the staff may be able to acquire material from other libraries. The library charges only the fees charged by the lending library. The fees below are subject to change without notice. Some of the services available from other libraries are as follows:
- California State Law Library:Fax – The library will fax up a limited amount of pages free of charge.
- Fresno County Law Library:Fax – $2.00 for the first page, $1.00 per additional page.
Photocopies – $ .25 per page.
Book Loans – Postage.
- Los Angeles County Law Library:Fax – $10.00 transaction charge plus $1.15 per page plus tax and telecommunications charges.
Photocopies – $5.00 transaction charge plus tax and postage.
Book Loans – $16.00 for one book, $6.00 for each additional book ordered at the same time. This includes UPS charges.
- Tulare County Law Library:Fax- $1.00 per page.
Photocopies – $ .25 per page plus postage.
Book Loans – Postage.
The library offers computers for completing and preparing forms and for performing legal research.
There is no charge to use the computer. Printing is $.15 per page.
Fax service has been temporarily suspended.
MCLE Disc checkouts have been temporarily suspended.